The History of The Brill
The Brill mansion was built in 1870 by John J. Brill Jr. after inheriting the farmland from his father. John J. Brill Jr. married Frances King in 1860 and together they went on to build the brick mansion and live there with their 3 children. The King family was well known to the region, as they were one of the first settlers in Greenfield, NY.
The Brill family operated the land as a dairy farm and agricultural business until 1886, when the Denton family purchased it. They built on the dairy farm history and transformed the farm into the Mountainside Dairy. In 1900, the property was sold to the Waller family who ran the dairy farm for 46 years. The Pepper family then took ownership and created the Pepper Turkey Farm. The Turkey Farm became a staple in Saratoga County until 1973.
A few other families and businesses rotated through until the mansion became vacant and fell into disrepair. In 2020, Michael Blaauboer, originally from the region, purchased the property and set his heights high to restore this historical landmark to it's former glory.